Feb 29, 2012

Davy Jones of The Monkees Dies at 66

"Hey look its the Monkees, they were a major influence on the Beatles." I still laugh when I remember this line by Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber. It was so funny and exactly opposite of the real purpose for the 1960's pop band. The Monkees were formed for their own TV show as a kind of spoof to the Beetles.

Today the Monkees' lead singer Davy Jones died of a heart attack at the age of 66. I can still remember the Brady Bunch episode where Marcia gets him to come and sing at her school dance. Classic!

Although they formed as a mere imitation band they rose to stardom with multi million selling hits like, "I'm a Believer" (sung in Shrek), "The Last Train to Clarksville", and "Daydream Believer". All three of these songs are on my ipod, and I never tire of listening to them. Davy will be missed by Monkees fans everywhere, especially me.

To imitate someone is to admire them. The Monkees did a superb job of imitating the Beetles. If you are a believer then you should be seeking to imitate Jesus. The Monkees are to The Beetles, what Christians are to Christ. Can others tell that you are a Christ imitator? After all, isn't that what a Christian is supposed to be?



No comments: