May 17, 2011

My Life as a Television Remote Control

      
        When I was a kid, I was the remote control. If real remotes existed at the time we were unaware of it. Our television was a giant piece of wooden furniture with a heavy glass screen, and knobs to change channels. I can tell you that being a TV remote isn't fun, but with only three channels I was never up for very long.
        As I became older I would come home from school with different excuses as to why I would get in trouble. It usually involved others making me angry. My dad would simply asked me if they controlled me.
        It still makes me think today. Do I allow others to push my buttons and create responses in me? Am I really that weak? Me? I mean, I am a follower of Christ who the Holy Spirit has taken up residence within to produce fruit that lasts. Christ should be in control. How dare I give the remote to someone else!
        What about you? Are you letting people push your buttons? Is your attitude based on what someone else does? It is time to embrace the freedom that giving God control truly brings. It is time to give Jesus the remote.

2 comments:

One who has been changed said...

All need to answer the question honestly as to who controls our remote indeed. good post!

Anonymous said...

I know all to well how it feels to be that ugly wooden TV. To be controlled by the harsh unremorseful words of another. I get what you are saying but those on the receiving end are we to excuse the behavior of the remote? I mean what was he thinking "sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you" well they do. Words cut deep and your mind may forgive but it doesn't forget. I wake up and ask God daily for me to be ok with me, for the remote to no longer have control over my thoughts or my actions. For me to accept the remote for what it is.