Jan 4, 2012

Spring Cleaning or Spring Clinging


For the last couple of days I have been struck with the fact that it is really easy to accumulate a whole lot of junk.

I have been cleaning in my office, my closet at home, and in the church shed. As a youth pastor with a low budget (and a pretty frugal person), I am always hopeful that I will be able to use something again.

I have located used spray paint cans from 7 years ago, props that have only been used once, and promotional items for old events. They are never used again, but are somehow hard to part with. We remember their usefulness and yearn for the time when they helped us.

In a way we are always comfortable in the past. There is rest in memories, because the outcome is already decided. It is the future that is uncertain. In this new year as we move toward spring cleaning lets remember to shed the things that hold us captive to the past and boldly move towards a future has yet to be written.

Change will be the catalyst to new victories, only imagined by those who are willing to let go of the relics of past accomplishments.

No comments: