Sep 29, 2010

Star Wars in 3D, its Finally Official!



Lucasfilm announced yesterday that they would be re-releasing all six Star Wars films in 3D. The proposed date will be in 2012 and all signs point to February. This has long been rumored and discussed among fans, but now it is finally going to happen. I have never been a fan of 3D movies. Avatar's affects were good, but then there was the Clash of the Titan's and Alice in Wonderland debacles.

I would be excited if Star Wars reentered the Theater in 2D or even with no picture as a digitally converted version of the radio dramas. Industrial Light and Magic is overseeing the project and has said they will take their time to do the job right.

It turns out that 2012 will not be the end of the world, but rather a dawning of an era where there are 3D films that actually have a great original story (sorry Dances with Wolves, ahem, I mean Avatar). I can't wait to see: the Death Star trench run, pod-races, lightsaber duels, asteroid fields, light-speed, the Rancor, and the Millennium Falcon in 3D.

If you have never seen any of the films, this would be a great time to give them a chance. Star Wars never had the chance to be released with the modern ticket prices and inflated 3D prices that propelled Avatar, The Dark Knight, and The Titanic past the greatest film of all time. I say it is time to reclaim the top spot. I myself will see it at least three times.

Now we can start crossing our fingers for 3D releases of Braveheart, The Matrix, and Fifth Element. I would much rather see great movies come back to the theater (3D or not), than new movies that are weak in story and rely on 3D alone for special effects.


submit to reddit

1 comment:

jason said...

this is exactly what I dislike about Lucas. Instead of making a new star wars he wants to waste our time remarketing the old films, I won't be wasting my money to view them in 3D,