Dec 23, 2009

The Top Ten Christmas Movies of All Time!



Here are the Top Ten Christmas Movies of all time (according to Randumblog).  Let me begin by saying that I am aware that A Christmas Story, The Polar Express, and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation are not included.  If there were fifteen they would be (but so would Gremlins).  I also realize that A Charlie Brown Christmas is not listed.  It is a special and not a movie or it would  definitely be in my top ten.


10. The Family Man (2000)
This may be the most underrated Christmas film of all time.  It doesn’t help that it came out at the same time as How the Grinch Stole Christmas which is the highest grossing Christmas film of all time.  The Family Man is a modern twist on the story from It’s a Wonderful Life.  Instead of dealing with what would happen if Jake Campbell (Nicholas Cage) had not existed, it deals with an alternate path that life would have taken him if he had chosen his girlfriend over his career.  If you have not seen this movie, you should rent it soon.


9. Die Hard (1988)
What more could one want from a Christmas movie besides time off from work, reconciliation with family, and a Christmas party?  Oh yeah, did I mention terrorists, explosions, and NYPD officer John Mclain (Bruce Willis)?  Die Hard brings in the holiday with a bang that makes me want to say Yippie Ki Yay Merry Christmas!


8. A Muppet’s Christmas Carol (1992)
Most people disagree as to which “Scrooge” movie is the best.  I happen to believe that it is the Muppet rendition.  Michael Caine would be a great Ebenezer Scrooge in a serious film, which makes it even better that he is acting along side of the Muppets.  Kermit is the best Bob Cratchit that I have ever seen.  On the comedic side, Statler and Waldorf are hilarious as Jacob and Robert Marley.

7. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
I loved the original animated version of the Grinch.  This was an improvement in every area except the rhyming.  It has grown on me ever since.  Jim Carrey does an outstanding job of bringing the Grinch to life.  This movie is a feast for the eyes.  Whoville is a set design that makes Willie Wonka’s Factory look like a sad joke.  I also love the back-story on why the Grinch moved to Mt. Crumpit in the first place.

6. The Santa Clause (1994)
This is hands down the winner for fastest beard growth, with Evan Almighty and Teen Wolf as honorable mention.  Scott Calvin (Tim Allen) is hilarious as the witty would be Santa.  It is a touching story of a boy believing in his father when no one else will.  It is a shame that the two sequels for this film were not up to par.  Actually, it is a shame that sequels were made for this movie period.

5. Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
I am surprised at how many people still have not watched this movie.  It is the greatest clay animation movie of all time.  Most of the people I talk to think that it is supposed to be scary.  This is simply not true.  It is a whimsical fairy tale about someone who wants to bring Christmas to Halloween Town.  The people try, but end up messing up Christmas for our world.  It is up to Jack Skelington to take Santa’s place and save Christmas.  The music is amazing.  Disney originally released it under their Touchtone Pictures label until they saw how great it was and quickly put the Disney brand on the movie.  Coincidentally, this is the only Christmas movie that is applicable to two holidays.

4. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
The original is definitely the best when it comes to Miracle on 34th Street.  I am still scratching my head as to why the proof for Santa in court was changed from the letters that the post office had, to the In God We Trust motto on the dollar bill.  Were the makers of the modern film trying to say that God is a fictional character?  It doesn’t really matter though since the original is king.  Edmund Gwenn is the best Santa that I have witnessed in any film.  I love how Santa sends the business from Macys to Kimballs and it actually increases the business at Macys.  It would be great to see businesses (and churches) operate in this manner today.

3. Elf (2003)
Elf is destined to become a perennial favorite for years to come.  It is one of those movies that keep getting funnier each time I watch it.  It really helps that there are great quotes within the film. “You stink. You smell like beef and cheese! You don't smell like Santa.”  I am not a big Will Ferrell fan, but I am glad that he was cast in this role, because he was perfect for it.

2. Home Alone (1990)
Home Alone always seems to start the Christmas holiday for me.  I know that Christmas is about Jesus, but the feeling of Christmas and the freedom Christ brings always hits at certain times.  Home Alone is that time for me.  I could have the lights up, the shopping done, and be baking cookies and still not feel like the season has started until I watch Home Alone.  I know it sounds weird, but the sooner I see this, the sooner I begin focusing on the true meaning of Christmas.

1. It’s a Wonderful Life (1946)
Classic, classic, classic!  Did I mention classic?  This movie has it all; great acting, a dynamic story, and the universal moral truth that each life matters.  It also has Jimmy Stewart who is good in any role.  Who would have thought that we would still be watching this annually over fifty years after it was made? I will close with this, “Merry Christams Mr. Potter, Merry Christmas, Emporium! Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan!”--and Merry Christmas to everyone reading my blog, regardless of your opinion on the best Christmas movies.  Grab one you like, someone you love, and some popcorn and have a great Christmas! 



An updated list for 2011 is available here

13 comments:

Erin said...

You forgot White Christmas! That's my favorite! And Die Hard? Seriously? haha Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

You mean there is still someone who watches White Christmas?

tngarrett said...

never liked its a wonderful life...or miracle on 34th street. not really seeing how family man and die hard fit..but okay? lol the others i liked

Anonymous said...

ELF really HAS to outrank Home Alone

one who has been changed said...

Looks like today the US Senate will try its own version of Nightmare Before Christmas so I guess their vote means they think it should me #1.

Donna said...

Enjoyed your comments on this blog. Don't agree entirely but, so what...LOL! I watch a good movie last night, "Christmas in Cannan", missed the first hour but, it was really good.

Sonya said...

So where does "Prancer" fall into your Christmas?

Anonymous said...

The Family Man, Its A Wonderful Life, Elf and even The Grinch Who Stole Christmas all great movies! I suggest you re-evaluate A Christmas Carol, maybe one of the oldest ones. What better way to get in the Christmas sprit by watching the redemption of a man who changes into a loving and caring person which is what God wants us all to be. On the other hand, I also love A Christmas Story as we see Christmas through a childs eyes, as crazy as it is, it's one of my favorites also. I enjoyed reading your opinion though!

Lynn Alsop said...

OK, don't like Elf, Santa Claus, or Die Hard. My favorites are Christmas Carol with George C. Scott, both Home Alones, Its a Wonderful Life, Little Women and the Navitivy Story.

Unknown said...

The Nativity Story did not make my list because the makers took the exciting birth of Christ and made it boring . . . that has to be wrong! Thanks for the comment LOL

x2946x said...

Watch Christmas Movies is always the thing we must do during the Christmas. From the top ten movie list, my favorite should be Die Hard (1988). A lot of actions together with great actor!

Laura Milner said...

Elf should be number one! Also why is Die Hard on this list? Must be a guy thing. But other than that i totally agree with ya!

Unknown said...

Why is Die Hard? Don't you mean why isn't Gremlins? I am gonna re-do this next Christmas. My taste has changed. The new Christmas Carol will relplace the Muppets one and Elf will be moving up can't say how far yet.