Apr 6, 2010

How to Train Your Dragon--Review with No Spoilers!


I saw How to Train Your Dragon today with some teens from my youth group.  We all agreed that it was the best movie that DreamWorks has put out.  Dragon is definitely on par with anything that Pixar has done except maybe Toy Story.  I have seen a whole lot of "fluff" animated movies recently.  I even enjoyed some of them (i.e. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Astro Boy, and Monsters Versus Aliens).  These movies are entertaining but will never be classics.

Dragon appeals to the "boy and his dog" that makes any pet story popular.  The only difference is that this is a comedy, action, and coming of age masterpiece.  I am being careful not to spoil the story, because everyone should see this family friendly fun ride.  The 3D is worth the price, but I am sure that 2D would be fine because the movie is driven by the story and not the effects.  This is more than I can say for the last 3D movie I saw.  Clash of the Titans was a special effects circus gone wrong with a weak story, acting, and 3D that seemed more like 2&1/2D.  Well, enough about Titans, Dragon is a must see!  It is the best animated picture since Up and the best movie of 2010 so far period.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Making plans to see it now!! Awesome review--thank for not "spoiling" it! :)

Elijah said...

Long time no digital speak..
Just read the review, absolutely agree. I took my little brother and his best friend to see it in 3D and was amazed... I'd put it up there with Fantastic Mr. Fox and Wall-E for best animated films yet.